Friday, December 19, 2008

Does it All Add Up?

Ever since the subprime crisis first happened in 2007, we have seen several other financial and corporate failures, exposing the weakness of the financial industry and the economy.

First it was the $700 billion bailout of the U.S. financial system, now Obama and congressional Democrats have entered into discussions over an economic stimulus package that would grow to include $850 billion in new spending and tax cuts over the next two years. - Washington Post. Whether this will pull the nation out of a deepening recession? Lets leave it to another post.

While the economy slows down, so did I. Day 6 of my two weeks vacation. Mainly spending my mornings attending yoga class, and helped my mum a bit in the office at noon. I knock off at 5:30pm sharp. Yesterday, Friday, I went to check out the Isetan sales. Bought a hell lot of Christmas presents for my family and myself to stimulate the economy.

Read the following and found it interesting. Here are extracts of it. Enjoy!

"The New York Times", November 22, 2006.

ADDING IT ALL UP

By Rick Moranis

The average American home now has more televisions sets than people – according to Nielsen Media Research. There are 2.73 TV sets in the typical home and 2.55 people, the researchers said.

I have two kids. Both are away at college.

I have five television sets. (I like to think of them as a set of five televisions.) I have two DVR boxes, three DVD players, two VHS machines and four stereos.

I have nineteen remote controls, mostly in one drawer.

I have three computers, four printers and two faxes. I have three phone lines, three cell phones and two answering machines. I have no messages.

I have forty-six cookbooks.

I have sixty-eight take-out menus from four restaurants.

I have one hundred and sixteen soy sauce packets.

I have three hundred and eighty-two dishes, bowls, cups, saucers, mugs and glasses.

I eat over the sink. I have five sinks, two with a view. I try to keep a positive view.

I have thirty-nine pairs of golf, tennis, squash, running, walking, hiking, casual and formal shoes, ice-skates, and Rollerblades. I am wearing slippers.

I have five hundred and six CD, cassette, vinyl and eight –track recordings. I listen to one radio station all day.

I have twenty-six sets of linen for four regular, three foldout and two inflatable beds. I don't like houseguests.

I have one hundred and eighty-four thousand frequent flier miles on six airlines, three of which no longer exist.

2 comments:

伊娃 said...

Love this post! very typical american life!

eimi said...

haha ya it is probably something you can relate to based on your NYC days...

i found the "story" interesting and at the same time so true about how people always desiring to have more, without ever needing it...haha