Thursday, December 25, 2008

An Annual Home Affair


Christmas Dinner 2008

Every year for the past ooooh so many years now we have a Christmas eve dinner, followed by a log cake, and of course the exchange of Christmas presents. This year though we broke the tradition a bit, by bringing forward the cake cutting and exchange of gifts, instead of the usual clock strikes 12am fun. Before I venture off on the wonderful presents received this year, this dinner was also different not only in terms of style, but we had a rather serious and brainy discussion. It was about the future of Dad's business. No details to be revealed here. A wee bit stressful don't you think?

The serious discussion was relieved by the holiday treat of ripping off the Christmas gifts! According to BBG, customer visits to U.S. retailers fell 24% last weekend compared with 2007, the biggest drop on record, as deepened discounts failed to attract consumers. Tough times call for tough measures! We were also more practical with gift exchanges this year. A simple present that I like from my pile this year was a book from my lil brother. "be happy" by Monica Sheehan...his Christmas greetings to me written in the book was "..Never lose sight of what is the most important thing in life.."

Today is the end of my two weeks vacation. An interesting discovery of myself during the two weeks. I didn't need coffee every morning to kick-start my system... I didnt know I could simply stay at home, read and listen to music, and sometimes idle my time away...I always thought I cannot slow down, and fear staying at home, rotting and getting bored. With this pocket of opportunity, I actually realize I can...although I am not sure if this can lasts long... but I realize I can... I can enjoy the simple joy of staying home (without any housework please...).

Christmas dinner prepared by Mum

Ice-cream log cake


No comments: