Sunday, August 03, 2008


What are you working for?

Its hectic during the weekdays. Seems to be fighting fire daily. An ex-colleague called me twice this week and asked if I was interested to join his company - promising a very attractive pay package and work hours. Pondered, but no at this point, I do not feel like stepping back into audit. Working in a bank has its perks. You are near the market movers - you see and hear their market perspectives, and hear from the best brains - their problems/ issues. Nope, $ cannot be everything.

Had a really balanced weekend this time. Swam in the morning on Saturday; and in the evening, with a touch of more culture, went to attend a song concert at the Drama Centre Theatre @ the National Library. It was a performance mainly put up by doctors - they can sing!!! We went specially to support Dr Loh - the tickets in support of her goes to charity - so it was a culturally charitable evening. That aside, it was really enjoyable to bask in live music.

Sunday - Gui and I went for McDonalds breakfast along Scotts Road. Was a quick one by the roadside since he had to returned to work. In the afternoon, I went to buy two more CDs. Coldplay's new album (for Gui) and High Society - Jazz in the city 2. Was not that cheap since these are new releases. But music to me is like life's simple pleasures. Hmm, I enjoy it and I feel a certain high when I hear music I like - Do you??!

Took a cab and then went for wall climbing. This time I climbed (nearly) non-stop for two hours. Fun and I learned to tie the knots these time. Not something I will usually do but you goto know if you wana explore this sport. I also had to learn to support my climbing partner who is probably more than two times heavier than me?? I flew up when he was coming down (we did a trial) - eventually I had to be tied to the gate behind (like a dog's leash) so I wouldn't fly. It worked, although I was still lifted slightly mid-air (with legs off the ground) when he was coming down... Took a short swim after that to cool down and to enjoy the sunshine and breeze.

So, what am I working for? Apart from job satisfaction (which might slip from time to time); trying to survive the stress - came up with a new motto "No fears, No worries" which my team-mate laughed at me (but hey I think it works; To paraphrase Thackeray -- "The world is a looking-glass, and gives back to every man the reflection of his own thought.") -- its also to afford my life's simple pleasures. I feel fortunate at this age that I dont have real financial burden to worry about - no debt, no loans, parents are also not asking for financial support -- At this point, its to afford my life's simple pleasures -- without a worry.

No comments: