Saturday, August 09, 2008

The WRAF WRAF week and How I deal

This entry is an update of my rough week and how I kinda survived. To start with, it is month end week (from a controller's perspective).

Month-end, I have developed a luff-hate relationship with this process called Mark Review (where you assess your traders' positions and see that it is valued in line with market and other documented methodologies). It is a teeeedious process, yet extremely interesting - and there is no better way to learn and understand a commodity's value than going through this Mark Review process. Its tough - I had to learn the process under crazy conditions before my team-mate went for maternity leave.. but here I am - I have sorta survived this second round. Late nights, early starts, lots of starbucks, teh ci xiu dai, 100 plus - all to focus for building the curves and understanding how the new Gasoils traded in July are valued.... and did I mention - the stress of the Access database not functioning as well as you would like it?!!!

During this week, I also received two rather shocking news. My
university mate's dad has just passed away - and so did one of my colleague's mother. Hey, we are talking about a generation above us (now!!) It used to be Grand - something, but now its starting to be just a generation above us. Due to the late nights @ work, I couldnt even attend the wake...

The friendship with I seems to have died off a little. He is either very very caught up at work, or put off by the fact that I speak about Gui and my in-laws, or feeling guility hehehe... ooh whatever, let it be. This is a situation which I have anticipated as one of the outcomes when I embarked on the friendship. But at least I felt I have learnt a lot too from this friebdship. Be it from books, music, sports, leading a balanced life-style, unwinding tips, good sleeping habits etc.... During the work week, I almost felt like giving up on the job again - but when it comes to weekend, it feels that everything is A-ok... I can do it, I can probably survive another crazy month-end round. I probably learned more in the past three months compared to my entire two years in the bank!


This morning, Gui and I took the makansutra book and decided to explore the Havelock road area. With a book in my hand, we explored 22A Havelock road for some simple fares. Always nice to feel a bit like a tourist, be curious and exploratory.

Its Saturday afternoon now - I know - its a bit too early in the weekend to be reflective? But yes I am feeling so - not much of an energy to look at investments (after the wraf wraf week)... I think I will leave. Was supposed to look at the performance evaluation process this year for my job - Ade has been chasing me to be more proactive about it, but I am exhuasted and I guess I'll leave. Weekend time - its too precious to spend it on matters that matter - but doesnt add a relaxing, unwinding touch to it... (or am I lazy?!!)

The Olympics opening ceremony was a WOO! The chinese athletes are also all nervous about competing on their home grounds. What some of their coaches are doing is to prevent them from speaking with the press, and that they do yoga. Yes, thats what I will do later. Stroll to Great World - and its time to take a more serious approach to yoga - it has to progress!

No comments: