Sunday, July 29, 2007

What's the Hype?


The new 7 Wonders of the world was recently announced this month on 07.07.2007. As a girl who loves travelling, I couldnt help but feel excited with the new list - with the 105-foot-tall "Christ the Redeemer" statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil joining the winners. Good that I just got to meet a new Brazilian friend too ;)

Despite all the hype on the Man-made 7 Wonders of the World, my personal preference for travelling is still Nature. The New7Wonders committee is launching nominations for the New7Wonders of Nature. Nominations will continue through 08.08.2008. I can't wait that long can I? Here are some valid examples for nominations.

Aletsch Glacier, Switzerland
Baikal Sea, Russia
Dinosaur Provincial Park, Canada
Galapagos Island, Ecuador
Geirangerfjord, Norway
Grand Canyon, USA
Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Iguaçu Waterfalls, Argentina/Brazil
Ha Long Bay, Vietnam
Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
Redwood National Park, USA
Sagramatha Park, Nepal
Serengeti Park,Tanzania

Have you not wondered who started the 7Wonders listing? The New7Wonders organisation is a Zurich-based company, which had promised to give 50% of the revenues from its campaign. However in a recent article, it expressed that "We invested 10 million euros in the campaign for selecting the 7 new wonders. We have just been able to break even". Dont get me wrong, but 10 million euros to put up a voting system, global publicity and maintaining a staff of 20 people? The non-profit organisation insisted that they are not into money-making; but surely the world does not require 10 million euros zapped out to create a world ranking list for "tourist inflow"?


Still, I am a sucker for rankings and listings. Knowing that I have travelled and "conquered" the world's best is one of my motivations & interest in life!

Just spoke to a friend who feels that there is "no meaning in life". Dont some people fall into that trap from time to time? All I can say is, when there is a problem, the trick is to solve it. With an optimistic eye, when you are faced with pain and suffering, take it as an opportunity to develop empathy, so you can increase your capacity to understand others better, connect better with others and develop better compassion.

When all else fails - travel - so you can find yourself.

7 comments:

Mum of 2 said...

Ha! Interesting! Where you plan to go then? I would love to visit all!

eimi said...

Hi there,

Planning to travel in Oct, but havent had the time to plan - maybe either Beijing, Switzerland, Jordan... I dont know...

Probably Brazil's good too! Both in the category of 7 Wonders and potential 7 Wonders of Nature

hehe you just started your new job, and already thinking of your next travel! Mr Fok must really save up!! ;)

Toshio俊雄 said...

hehe. it's great to eventually tick all off ur list and say "been there done that" yea? ;)

Mum of 2 said...

Wow! I would love Brazil then!

Heh, not enuff leave also..haha..my dear Mr Fok can save up then!

eimi said...

Hi 俊雄,

Yes! I even wanted to buy the book "1000 Places to See Before You Die"... until I found it @ the bookstore.

It was written like a brief dictionary though & I lost interest in the book eventually...

eimi said...

BY,

haha I hope he wouldnt shiver if he read your comments... nice bumping into you guys today!!

Mum of 2 said...

is ok, he has shivered many times! hehe.

nice bumping u too! we can have lunch some day together!