Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Walking Out Our Path

Reading Eeps' post on fresh graduates pay in London versus Singapore was interesting, as I didnt think there will be many news articles around that would comment on the parallel or differences between London & Sg directly. Good to have insights of friends who are staying out of Sg. Reading friends' blog becomes somewhat like a insider news feed to me - from Japan, London, and New York.

Talking about fresh graduates, I was part of a mass recruitment drive last Saturday @ the bank. I was stationed at the meeting room where I would meet 5 candidates at a go, and chatted casually with them in a group. It was amazing that at a relaxed setting, some became very frank about why they wanted to join an investment bank. Some didnt know what they exactly wanted to do, but just wanted to start off in a IB - looking for good pay, better hours than what they currently have, and good contacts so they can set up their own business in future - shocking frankness, but okay there's "honesty". Of course, they were striked off the list.

This week was another madness for me. Three more new joiners and another visitor from London. Quite a challenge to start up a fresh team. But I feel lucky to have good support from my bosses both in London and Sg. I am constantly asked "how things are going" and "if there are any problems, I can always talk to them about it". When there is a problem or issue at work, I usually always find a logical way of dissecting them.

How about emotional issues? Is it about adopting the right mental attitude (whats that anyway??)? I guess that means instead of being overwhelmed by anxiety and worry, always lamenting about a situation, or feeling "Why does life seem so unfair for me", we can save ourselves from the mental pain by having the right attitude. Gosh... its a much more complex subject than a well-salaried job...

1st Snowboarding

Are we heading in or returning?
We all looked clownish - but we were all happy!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would you want to join IB then?

eimi said...

Hi, I totally don't deny these are the perks of joining a IB.

However, what I was highlighting was, after some tough questioning, not only did some candidates failed to display why they are making a career move, they "managed" to reveal that they are more interested in the perks than what job scope they are going into.

I dont think any employer will consider candidates who dont know what they really want in a career, except that they will get a better lifestyle...