Sunday, November 25, 2007

Am I ready?..Settling Down...or Dreaming Big?




So I got engaged last week. I had an interesting lunch with one of my ex-colleagues where we both shared the same concerns as women. Do we utilize our intelligence and capabilities as support for establishing a new family? Or should we focus on building up our career; landing a more aggressive role - but of course this might mean the relationship taking on a less focus in terms of time devotion.

Pros of being Hero Support

- Most successful men I know do not have their partners working. In fact, the leading lady plays a support role in terms of finance management, coordination, sanity check, social schedule, PR. If the men is properly supported, he can bring in more bread, which is better for the long-term benefits of the couple.

- Women have a biological clock limitation. Having a less aggressive career or staying home may mean better physical conditions to have a baby.

- Look less haggard (which is what a lot of men want probably).

- Potential relationship friction if the lady outshines the man in shining armour.

- Less conversations on how frustrating work has been or politics @ work (even if the guy tries to lend his ears to be supportive, I believe they would prefer not to hear such grumbles).

Pros of pursuing an aggressive career

- self satisfaction, achievements & tangible monetary rewards.

- conversations would not be limited to price of vegetables @ NTUC.

Like it or not, the human existence is precious. We pondered about how much potential lies within our body. Without any constraints, could we bring more meaning, benefits and advantages to life.

I need confidence and courage to make a life-changing decision. Still pondering over the pros and cons, but I guess whatever the choice is, as long as I am committed to using my human existence in a positive way, that is probably the right choice.

4 comments:

run to live said...

congrats

eimi said...

thank you... although I would really love it if someone could share some thoughts on the confusion of my post..

i guess men have less of those issues to ponder... ;)

run to live said...

It is all about expectations.....

How good or comfortable a life do you expect to live?

cost of living is going up...but salary does not seems to goes up as fast for most of us....Not everyone of us have the luxury of living on just one income for one to stay at home to take care of the house.....

in the end, is to balance you work life, your family and your personal life.....

What is the quality life you want? It may not be measured using $$$

I hope I did not get out of the topic u mentioned

eimi said...

haha thanks!

ya i agree, at the end of the day it just boils down to what you want and your expectations!