Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sweet...But Killer

Today is Medical Leave day. Of all days, I had to miss the CDS workshop conducted by the London guys. How would I start a weekday at home though? Best thing to occupy me was to hit the newspapers. The first article that caught my attention was of course impact of the U.S. Subprime Concern. When is the best time for me to sell my yen? Should I cash in on my investments already or wait to see the market hopefully corrects itself and take an optimistic longer view?

Another article that caught my fancy was "Killer Heels"... how women cannot live without them despite the risk of developing foot problems. Unfortunately (or fortunately) deformities might start to become significant only later in life, and the damage could already been done now. Sarah Jessica Parker says "I used to spend 18 to 20 hours a day filming in heels. I’ve totally destroyed my body by running and dancing in them."


Somehow I keep feeling guilty about not being able to attend the training @ work today. At a critical timing where Breno has to return to London soon and our handover is incomplete, I decided to take the Medical Leave. I had to. Forcing myself to work despite being sick last week was a bad mistake. Somehow the effects spilled over to a prolonged two weeks of poor health. Not sure if it is cultural differences, the London people dont seem to say "take care", "please rest" or "thank you" when you work while sick. I miss my Japanese team who would say "Stop working, go and rest!".

Or are these negative thoughts self-created? Fear, anger, guilt and helplessness are mental and emotional responses that can intensify pain (HH Dalai Lama). Maybe I need to modify my outlook and attitude - have a good rest, dont think and overcomplicate what they think, be healthy and go back to work tomorrow with the same enthusiasm.. there's so much to do... I need calmness..


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thatz the tea shop in Kobe!
well.. this is what i learnt, dont really give a damn shit to what other ppl think (other than your boss). Japanese is just a totally different culture. dont even compare their culture with the rest of the world or you will just get really depressed. = )

eimi said...

Yes thats Kobe! You are sharp!

Unfortunately I didnt care much about how my boss thinks, but I guess I should. But one good thing that came out of this is, I dont want my team-member to work if ever they are sick.

And I always quote you and your fantastic advice to some of my colleagues whenever they feel down, and it almost always works!!... "Just remember it is embedded in the pay you are getting!"