Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Thoughts on Becoming a Mum


As Theodore is 1 month, 3 weeks and 6 days old today, so have I become a mummy for 37 days. With no prior experience with a baby (but of course), Irwin and I attended antenatal classes back in December 2009, together with Stella and Alvin whose baby Joshua is four days younger than Theodore.

What we have learned from the course has proven to be very useful. At least it helps us to combat the many opinions from the well-wishers, some of which do not make hygiene sense. In addition to that, I frequently have to research on the internet too on tips and advice. With the good fortune of friends who already have babies, they have become key practical guidance too.

So far Theodore has been a joy. Apart from his skin rash initially, there is nothing we really need to worry about. I focus on feeding him, playing and stimulating his sense of development. The nanny focuses on baths and putting him to sleep. The grandparents carry and speak to him daily.

Common Issue

In my earlier post I mentioned issues with my MIL. I realised I am not alone.

Some ridiculous scenarios my friends do experience include:

  • if the baby has constipation, the MIL blames it on what the mum eats. But hey, wasn't the confinement food cooked by MIL? Oh yes, she forgot - so MIL blames it on the food mum consumed while pregnant
  • Baby's stools are supposed to be loose, textured, sometimes seeming grainy or curdled. MIL insists that baby is having diarrhea despite paedi. confirming that it is not.

Some of my own experience includes:

  • I was having fever and chill. MIL becomes suspicious daily that I have spread the sickness to baby. She did not realise that if mum breastfeeds while sick, the body actually generates antibodies and goes into the breast milk which is even better for the baby.
  • MIL insists that baby's nose is stuffy and stuck based on the breathing noise. I say thats because his nostrils are not clean. MIL checks his nostrils along the dark corridor and say No his nostrils are clean. So I say, how do you check when there is no light? I brought Theodore to the sunlight and gave her a status update on his nostrils.

Its tiring. I think its ego and home politics. After all, MIL is used to being the queen of the family. But now, with regard to Theodore I insist on my ways based on what I learn and read. Anyhow I am tired of the long battle since bringing Theodore home from Gleneagles.

I have decided to focus my joy on Theodore, my hubby and building my family. You shall not get me down!


2 comments:

An-An said...

you r not alone!

i can't imagine i have to go thru this again... haha!

eimi said...

hmmm..hopefully we behave proper when we become MILs next time ;)