Thursday, May 06, 2010

The Drama with Theodore's skin




Here, Baby Theodore is 1 month 1 week old.

I think when you have a baby, at times you would LOVE it; at times it might just get you down.

We have been rather busy as Baby Theodore has developed eczema on his cheeks.

To the paeditrician and some of my close friends, this is not puzzling - it is very common among babies.

My mother-in-law and the nanny insisted this was milk rash and have been over-cleaning his cheeks (which could have made it worse). This was despite me telling them that the first paedi. has mentioned it was not milk rash. When I was required to repeat it for the 7th time, I lost my temper, and for the first time in my life, I raised my voice at my MIL, although also explaning that if we keep focusing on the wrong type of rash, we would be giving the wrong treatment to him.

At the end of one week, as it has deteriorated, sickening enough, my mil wanted me to use boiled green bean water to treat one of his cheeks, and my nanny suggested that I apply my saliva on his face right after his milk feed. After one week of battling with the family, I actually gave in and decided to try these primitive methods. Sickening to think about it - yes I applied my saliva. Luckily I didn't listen to their suggestions fully, and only did so for his chin. It got worse. So, I say, thats it, no more experimenting, I am going to bring him to see a second paedi.

Right now, Theodore is recovering well and I am happy about it.

5 comments:

Mum of 2 said...

Awww...Amy...Can understand how you feel. Different people with different opinions can be frustrating. Hope Theodore is fine now. You too..probably too much to cope with..Take care.

An-An said...

babe, tis is juz the start. think all mummies will experience the same when their own mummies/in-laws have different thinking.

I also flare up last time. Next time before you do, take a deep breath before u speak. Sometimes we r too tired and hence cranky, thus the bahaviour. Think they will understand.

All for the good of Teddy yah? :)

Hope he's better now!

An-An said...

Oh, and I have more sickening "methods" u dun wanna know! Hahaha!

eimi said...

Hi Auntie Connie - yes Theodore is recovering fast and well, so everyone is happier at home now, at least there are no more funny discussions about what needs to be done to his face. All logical scientific measures are being adopted now..hehe

eimi said...

Hi Anne

exactly, I can imagine this is only the beginning. But at least irwin and I have discussed through and set some ground rules with MIL now..hee. Yes its all the good of Teddy, thats why we need ground rules :)

Sickening Methods?! - since you are more experienced at this..hehe, let me know when we meet up! I really didnt expect this coz my MIL and I actually got along v well before Teddy was out...oh well, live & learn!