Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Every Parent's Dream


This was taken during the detailed ultrasound scan. This is basically to check that your baby is developing well. The emphasis of this pic is on the foot as the gynae has printed on the picture.

I remember a conversation with Gui probably a year ago. He told me that he wants to earn well for his children so that in the future, the child would be able to choose whatever career he/ she enjoys and need not be bounded by which career pays the best.

I thought it was an interesting viewpoint as every parent probably wants the best for their kiddos - including to excel in a career and earning well eventually - especially in the context of a practical and rather materialistic society.

I visited Lama Shifu last week. As he said "Nothing in this world is absolutely right or wrong." I believe he is right. Even though Gui's idea might be a little out of the norm... think about how every mum or dad is filled with joy and excitment when they first see their baby through a computer scan... why end up pressurising or stressing them to achieve when they are out of the placenta? I often hear parents say "You will understand once you have children." If parents-to-be can be excited when the baby starts kicking (ouch!) in your stomach, why shouldn't parents continue to love and respect their kiddos development pace as they grow? I hope I would not fall into the loop of pressurising my kids to excel..and would be able to use the appropriate wisdom to guide my child in future.

10 comments:

Mum of 2 said...

Wow. Know the sex of baby gui!

Cheers,
Aunty Connie

Eeps & Weexy said...

Congrats Mr and Mrs Gui. I am so happy for you two and pray that you will deliver a healthy child!

eimi said...

Thanks - hope to hear good news from Eeps & Weexy too!

eimi said...

Aunty Connie - what are you saying? ;p

Anyway u sound ever excited, make one!

Mum of 2 said...

Oh Aunty Connie meant if u know the sex of baby gui???

Yah! Excited, waiting for my turn la...in few yrs time. haha!

eimi said...

ah, first scan at 16 weeks, gynae said its a baby girl.

now, gynae said its 110% a boy...

think i will wait for the next check-up to confirm again... just don't want to buy the wrong colours. Ok for a girl to wear blue; but maybe not a boy wearing pink ;)

just do it! both of you are financially secured, you can still travel when you have a child later..

i thought of having children only when i am 31, but now that it has happened earlier, and i feel tired and had to stop work for my nausea; i thought it may have been better when i was younger ;)

Mum of 2 said...

Haha. okok. Better wait then.

Not just financials, lots of things to consider. Ernest says its a irreversible act! You ask him when you see him for lunch one day.

Yah, I heard the consequences of starting late. I thot of having it 3 yrs later. For now, 2 yrs later. haha.

eimi said...

haha but the funny thing i realised about my male frens is that, even if they are not keen initially... once the baby is out, its irreversible in the sense that their attention and their life goals become centred on the baby..some became more family man..and even more motivated on their career than before ;)

Mum of 2 said...

Hmmm...gonna copy and paste what you have written to Ernest :p

eimi said...

hehe, its true, in time to come, let me know if its true for Mr Fok!