Friday, June 20, 2008

The Forbidden Phase...




Its 1130pm...
Seating here by myself in front of the laptop that accompanied me faithfully throughout my one year stint in Tokyo.
Not funny, Mr Gui is not home yet at this hour!
Not a rare moment at this timing...

I had a very interesting lunch with one of the traders this afternoon. So far coffee chats and a meal have really taught me a thing or two. Of significance:

".. Don't be jealous, you are only limited by your imagination!" (although this was related to a travel conversation rather than work)

@ today's lunch, A was telling me how he was recruited and had to fly to London for an interview. He turned down Goldman's attractive offer which many in the industry thought he was mad. If he went to GM, he would have been offered a higher designation and would be heading a team. I thought it was a ridiculous offer at his age. But he says "nothing is ridiculous in this world, just look at Facebook which is now valued at a whopping $15 billion". In my bank, he wasn't offer that but he decided it wouldnt be GM. Still... at a tender age of 3X, I would label him as extremely successful. He repeatedly said, "at the end of the day, its about knowing what you want".

It is not always the man who struggles hardest who gets on in the world. It is the direction as well as the energy of struggle that counts in making progress. To get ahead -- you must swim with the tide. Men prosper and succeed who work in accord with natural forces. A given amount of effort with these forces carries a man faster and farther than much more effort used against the current. Those who work blindly, regardless of these forces, make life diffcult for themselves and rarely prosper. -- Robert Collier

I now know better the formula for career...but who is going to give me some proper guidance on managing a relationship?

4 comments:

Mum of 2 said...

My Mr Fok just came home and is working from home now!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. What's the aspiration? We tend to neglect this question. We are either too scared to get ouf of the social norm or other multiple reasons. But yes, what do "I" think and feel!? Surely, I can't be happier about going to Paris!

eimi said...

Helly BY..

haha thanks for making me feel that I'm not alone. But i guess its ok when it happens once in a while - but not really for consecutive weeks/ mths... so with an optimistic eye and internet access to occupy me (haha)..hoping that it would turn for the better in time to come ;)

eimi said...

M-chan!!

I agree - each to his aspirations. Some people are contented with doing nothing much at work (but probably a fulfilling life at home with their kids)..but some just wana step out of their comfort box and enjoy what this world has to offer!

AND I am definitely delighted that you are packing up to head to Paris to fulfil your dreams.. although thinking back that was the reason you dumped me to walk the path of NYC alone... very valid reason for the dump!! hahaa

miss ya!