Monday, June 16, 2008

Before Nov 15 @ Brooklyn Bridge walk + Times Square....and Now after Nov 15...

Ok, I have been lazy. These are pictures during my vacation in 2007 which I have not posted, and I guess I will not write more about the trip since pictures are supposed to say a thousand words...

Why Nov 15? Well, its the date I got engaged. Thinking back, I had to stroll romantic Brooklyn Bridge alone - well I enjoyed it - but still I was alone. After Nov 15's engagement right now.. I am still alone. If I had more energy I would have written a post "The Frustrations of Loving an Entrepreneur".. well I believe anyone who is dating an entrepreneur now would agree with me on the challenges and compromises required. Its bloody tough.. but what to do... he will say "I am working so hard now because I want to provide for you."... What can you or anyone do about that?!! Ok don't want to spoil the mood of the pictures below. Hopefully calmer by the time I reach the end of the post...












I did read an extract last night - although relating to understanding of the Dharma, I find it applicable to daily life.

Outward Distraction
A distracted mind will not be able to concentrate. To improve our practice, it would be better to minimize activities that may cause us to lose our focus, such as partying, "nightclubbing" and gossiping, as it is very easy for our minds to become attached to objects that attract our six sense of six consciousness, which are our eyes, nose, tongue, ears, touch and mind.

The eye consciousness is attracted to form, which could be objects or the human body. Many of us appreciate the sight of a beautiful man or woman. Appreciation by itself is fine. But when desire and attachment accompany appreciation, this might lead to complications such as martial or relationship problems. Usually, the desire to possess is something due to the eye consciousness. When we see something that we like, it is desire that drives us to possess it. Hence, this makes us work hard for our beautiful houses and cars. However, having worked to hard to acquire the object, once it has been possessed, our euphoria is brief, and the suffering we have in the form of the big loan repayment is long.

So, being easily distracted by objects of the six senses may cause us to act rashly and irrationally.

So we must learn to be less attached to objects, and learn to control our minds.
~ from a Precious Gift by 12th Zurmang Gharwang Rinpoche

No comments: