Monday, April 21, 2008

Goodbye Credit, Hello Commodities


I started my controlling career in credit..it has been two years. Today, I rotated to the sexy and all-talked about product - commodities P&L. I left my team. Leaving was somewhat more difficult than I expected - the friendship and gossip gang built up - today I started new bonds with a fresh group of ladies.

Last Friday my team gave me a farewell I didnt expect - a huge lunch (there was no way I could speak with everyone); a bouquet of flowers; a Tiffany pen; and a "Sorry you are leaving card".

Phew it wasn't exactly an easy start today. Totally new product. I would say because oil is easier to relate to in human terms as compared to credit derivatives - the higher the expectation to know and understand. It starts from oil exploration -->Drilling --> Refining... It is a good opportunity to learn.

Hmm but of course I am giving up comforts. The comfort of knowing a product for two years. Being able to knock off at 7-8pm daily. I think with my current team it could go beyond that for at least the first few months.

But I believe I will really learn the business this time. The training materials and market reports are impressive to begin with. Then again, if I have family responsibilities now I will probably not have the guts to give up the comforts of the credit world. Since I do not - well, be prepared for the hard work and late evenings to come.

Robert Collier in his book said "The most important province of your conscious mind is to center your thoughts on the thing you want - Believe that you receive and then shut the door on every suggestion of fear or worry or failure. If you once gain the ability to do that, nothing else is impossible to you." - better remind myself that...

No comments: