Monday, April 09, 2007

Singapore service standards: Praised by IMF-World Bank delegates


The survey was conducted by the Singapore Tourism Board (STB). Close to 1,000 delegates took the poll, and 3 out of 4 (meaning app. 750) were very satisfied with hotel service standards and venue facilities. Over 83% also said they were likely to visit Singapore again for leisure. STB says "Singapore has what it takes to develop a world-class service culture". Since relocating back to Singapore, I noticed that the word "world-class" has been splashed several times on our home newspaper.

Based on my own experience, two months in Singapore now and a year in Japan, I have the following positive conclusion: "It is better off to have a goal/ intention than none." Indeed I have noticed apparent change in service standard of some. However, general customer service is still very frustrating as compared to Japan.

One recent experience I had was with Sistic - an online ticketing company. I wanted to give a birthday treat to my sister to Phantom of the Opera this April, and bought tickets via Sistic. Unfortunately, I received two email confirmations but with the Same Seat Number. I immediately sent an email to ask if they could check whether I accidentally purchased only one or the system made a mistake. I also painted a picture of how important the tickets are to my sister, stating that I could show my sister's Identification Card, and asked them to check availability of two tickets on April 6th.

The reply was "sorry the system shows you purchased only one ticket". I totally blew and replied that "This is not customer service....". I called them immediately, painting the picture, and inquired for alternative tickets, and one of the staff said "...So you made the mistake lah", again I blew..."I dont know whether I made the mistake or your system made the mistake, but bottom line is I need two tickets on that day". Apparently the call center previously won awards in 2004/05.

I forgot that I was no longer in Japan. Most of the time in Japan, I experienced either customer service or exceptional customer service. My bf who was recently in Tokyo told me that he was waiting for a train when his paper bag filled with items broke. A lady from a shop my bf didnt buy anything from immediately ran over with a new paper bag...

Personally, I wasnt surprised. For me, even visiting washrooms in most places in Japan was very pleasant. The cleaners are very polite and take pride in their jobs.

Still, at least we are trying to be world class, and this is a step forward -- meanwhile I will take these "opportunities" to practice patience and tolerance to counter the disappointments.

2 comments:

Ange said...

Totally agree with you on the customer service in SG! CMI! Sigh! Wonder where the world class comes from!

eimi said...

Yes I think Singapore service sector should really invest in training. There is a clear distinction by companies who invested in training and have a good corporate culture. My exceptional experiences so far are with Ikea in Singapore (terrible with Courts), Coffee outlets definitely, and SK II (from the way they converse, you definitely know that all go through thorough training - they dont do push-selling but follow-up with calls politely).