Monday, April 30, 2007

Investments, Financial Security, Returns, Insurance, Marriage, Property

At my age bracket, these seem to be the most common conversation topics as I slowly catch up with various groups of friends. It is important to manage them well, however can there be too much emphasis such that it takes the fun out of life.

Today is Japan's national holiday, Showa Day 昭和の日! Thus, it is also public holiday for me here. I spent the morning visiting my insurance agent, asking him various & many questions to ensure that I am working hard, and that my money earned is working hard for me too.

I then met up with an university friend @ Icekimo started up by our university hallmate. Besides catching up on who's doing what, when is someone getting married, we also touched on business strategies.

I wanted to leave after a scoop of ice-cream, to come home to look @ my funds allocation. But I stayed on, as the girly white-pink atmosphere somehow threw me back to the age where you are more carefree, and not calculating how much returns or value something is giving you.

It was a nice way to spend my holiday which otherwise would have been spent on my investment portfolio. Also the boss was generous enough to let me serve some customers - I scooped ice-cream!

Yesterday evening I watched Blood Diamond, and was astonished by the cruelty of the 14-year civil that was ended only in 2003. As I watched on, I felt ashamed that I frequently waste food without thinking about the poverty that still exists around the world. Well, at least I started making donations on a regular basis. But there is definitely more to life than just money, finances and investments isnt it?

Deep thoughts the night before, but today I am aggressively studying investments again.

I have just booked a trip to Bali this weekend, so as to make use of the Golden Week holiday in Japan. Its time to espcape from city life, and explore something more relaxing. But then again, without proper management of funds, how can one truly enjoy a vacation in style, and without any worries?

2 comments:

sardonica said...

You popped by ROhlin's place? She just came back to SG too...=) Who did you go with?

eimi said...

Hi Shell,

I met up with Red Biscuit. Didnt meet Rohlin though as I was there between 12pm - 3pm. YS was there though. We had a good chat, and he was teaching me to scoop an ice-cream of the right/ exact size. It wasnt that easy! but fun ;)