Monday, April 16, 2007

Pay for Frustration

The roller-coaster emotional struggles with customer service for the past two months never seem to cease.

A shopping experience @ Nine West @ Wisma frustrated me to the core on Saturday. Eventually I wrapped up spending $ only at Nike and SK II, where staff was couteous and knowledgeable.

I am beginning to wonder if the problem was me. Or are most Singaporeans contented with what is provided in Singapore and simply stomach it? A study in 2005 revealed that
80% of Singaporeans do not give feedback to companies. However I noticed a trend. Most of my fellow friends who are always ready to provide constructive feedback are those who have lived overseas; and know that - quite a shame - but we still have a long way to go to reach world class.

Customer service can be simple, pleasant to bring about satisfaction.




Another cool moment of Japan's brilliant customer service:

Of course we are not expecting this in Singapore - but Tokyo really has it good, you pay and often you get excellent customer service AND product.

Want some video of it? Here it is:




Pretty cool and funny as he pushed the HELP button. As long as the experience is pleasant and efficient, this will definitely bring about a bigger pool of satisfied customers and even greater job satisfaction for staff!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha Emi, you are soo funny! you never stop complaining about the customer service in Singapore. Well you have to understand that Japan is Japan, Singapore is Singapore. It really takes that kind of unique culture to provide such high quality customer service. You have to stop comparing ne..

eimi said...

hahah Hello there. Yes you are right. I do try not to compare. However, I am just trying to have less ridiculous service standard, especially when my government goal's is "World Class" mah ;) It is frustrating U know.. but thanks for the reminder. I often wonder if it is more difficult for you since u stayed longer in Tokyo, and NYC might be pretty demanding unless u tip a lot?

Anonymous said...

hum.... NY is you are expected to tip but you receive the same kind of service.. so I came with no expectation.. so no disappointment. The good thing here is I can express my emotion when I am not satisfied. so I become a bit more outspoken than in Japan... HAHAHA

eimi said...

nice, no expectation no disappointment.

run to live said...

Hi, nice to meet u again that day at sim lim tower!! if u remember!

i agreed all ur complaints abt customer service...not only this, i find that product knowledge is lacking in most saleperson also

yongwei

eimi said...

Hello Yongwei,

Ya I was really surprised to bump into you too! It must have been 4-5 years! I am also surprised how you chance upon my blog...hehe but I think blog writing is definitely a nice way to keep in touch.

Take care!

run to live said...

hi eimi!

for ur blog from "big head"'s blog...my blog is listed in her blog also.

ya..blogging a a channel for letting out ur thoughts, penning down ur opinions and also a channel for interaction...

keep in touch!

eimi said...

Hi YW,

Yea its like a way for me to keep a diary too. I enjoy clicking back to a year ago, looking at the pics and the trend of thoughts back then.