Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mid Japan-life Crisis

So far so good (great), I am about to reach my 6 months, 1/2 way mark to my Japan experience. Everything has exceeded my expectations so far, including my workplace environment and the professionalism it offers. At yesterday's lunch with the ED, she asked, if there was a business reason would I be willing to stay on. I said yes. Thinking back I feel like I am trying to avoid going back to Singapore to face certain reality.

Can't help but feel that setting foot back to Singapore would simply means my life is going to be molded like Every Singaporean. Firstly, the pressure to settle down. 3 out of 5 of my best girlfriends are married. When I chatted on msn last evening with a Singaporean girl of my age, the topic was also about X got ROM, Y is getting married. Its joyous indeed, but it feels like there is nothing going on in life except that being tied down is the most exciting thing.

Thinking about what I have to face when I go back fears me more than whether I want to extend my contract here. What can I say but enjoy it while I can. Why does life become only more exciting when you step out of your own country - Sg. Why is there more to learn that you simply would not be able to if you stayed on and still. I am glad I have this opportunity (which I really need to treasure).


No comments: