Friday, July 21, 2006


Heading towards the Highest

Today in the office, colleagues around me were getting excited that I am going to climb Mt Fuji over the weekend. Interesting thing is none of my Japanese colleagues have climbed Japan's highest mountain. Still there were many words of wisdom. Perhaps one should work out for a month before attempting to climb, bring some lemon, energy water, mountain climbing shoes etc. Ishitani-san could see Mt Fuji from his home on clear days, so he never thought of climbing. Ayumi-san jogs at the ocean frequently, but she thinks she might not be fit enough to climb the mountain.

Mt Fuji is a dormant volcano, which most recently erupted in 1708, also rumoured to erupt this year. I thought about What If as I was showering after packing for the trip.

Dont really know what the agenda is tomorrow as my bf has kindly organised the entire trip. The only thing I know is I have to get up at 830am, head for Shinjuku to take a bus which we will reach Level 5 of the mountain. Climb till evening, where we will stay in a hut with tatami (only?). Wake up at 4am to catch the sunrise which should be the highlight of the trip.

Though I travelled out of Tokyo to Yokohama last weekend, I am really looking forward to travelling out again. Nonetheless I would so love to enjoy the view rather than climbing it, being on it, and not being able to see the famous view. Hopefully the bus would drop us somewhere to catch that famous sight. Still I have to count myself lucky, we decided on the trip only this Monday, and managed to arrange transportation and accomodation during this climbing season which is only during July and August.


1 comment:

X said...

post some pictures hor!!!!