Friday, July 14, 2006

Its OceanDay!


Its a long weekend or so Singaporeans would term it. Yes, Monday is Ocean Day here in Japan, and its a celebration for the "Ocean" (umi no hi). Apparently a recently introduced national holiday, and it marks the return of Emperor Meiji from a boat trip to Hokkaido in 1876.

My week

Kinda slow, but after settling here for six months, I just bought my mobile this Tuesday. Thanks to Miki who brought me to Ebisu, and then finally finding the ideal phone and plan from Shibuya. Its a 3G phone which unfortunately I would not be able to use in Singapore when I return. At least it can be used in many other countries for example the States - so basically I have gotten myself a travel phone (it simply cant be used in my home country!!).

Japanese phones send messages using email accounts rather than SMS. So you can choose an email address for yourself/ your phone. My phone costs 14000 yen (S$200). I got my ideal phone for 1 yen, after the shopowner took pity on me (not going to elaborate why but Miki and I gasped and thought it was a miracle). Here you can also choose the numbers...080 XXXX YYYY. XXXX - there are three sets to choose from; and YYYY - you put in your 1st three choices, and they would check if anyone has taken them. Well, I got my 1st choice... of course.

Gonpachi

Thursday night after work, I landed in Gonpachi for dinner with Stella, a brilliant Korean colleage. She and her husband have shifted to Ropponggi recently, who also makes it easier for us to hang out together (two stops away now). Highly recommended resturant:

  • Atmosphere: Enchanting mura (village) - felt like in the edo period.
  • Cavernous interior courtyard with 2 storey high ceiling, everywhere was well decorated with wooden pillars, stone block walls - actually reminded me of ancient Chinese gongfu shows resturants.
  • Open kitchen concept: you can see the cooks preparing the yakitori and barbeque in front of you.

Whats Next?

I dont know - but there are tons of really good food at Nishi-Azabu that I am dying to try, Toraji, Hudson's ice-cream and Yaki Yaki Miwa! I wished my closest friends are around me to share these new interesting experiences with me. Food in Japan is really QUALITY.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Informative.