Saturday, March 06, 2010

Tools and Tips for Handling Helpers?














Having a helper solves certain tasks, but it can also create a load of other problems, from language miscommunication to trying to monitor if the best cut of squid, fish or beef went into their stomach. I know this might make me sound like a miser, but it wouldn't be that funny if you knew that your cod or salmon fish became your helper's meals.

Well luckily for our household, we don't really have that problem at the moment. Mother-in-law is very experienced with managing helpers. Yes, there was once where Dahlia ate one of the expensive fish to herself. MIL explained to her that this is costly, and I guess she wouldn't help herself so freely in future. We are soon going to have two helpers in the household, so having rules would help us manage the living costs better. Yes, the government is raising the foreign worker levy! Thanks for nothing!

Today, Gui and I sorted out the baby room. Took out the steriliser and bottle warmer equipment (okay need to learn how to operate this), sorted out all clothings and beddings that would need to be washed by the baby laundry detergent, placed the nappy liners, baby nail clippers appropriately, set up the playpen in our bedroom, set up the bathtub area etc. Sumini will be arriving in the middle of March to help wash and clean all the baby stuff. She is one lucky helper who is going to have a really cosy, well-decorated and air-conditioned room to work in. I think she deserves it though. She is intelligent, put others before herself, and more importantly she has experience taking care of babies. Apparently she has done such a great job that most children end up crying when Sumini has to leave...I don't really want that situation, but I will really need her help when I return to work. I will try as much as possible to take care of our baby myself.

I don't know what I have against Dahlia though. I always seem to think that she doesn't have the intelligence to help manage a household, I doubt her reasoning ability, I think she is lazy when it comes to cooking (but really she has improved since day one). As my MIL always say, if they are so intelligent, they wouldn't be your helper - which is true. Green Tara emphasizes on the attainment of six perfections of giving, ethics, patience, effort, meditative stabilisation and wisdom, and bright with her every compassionate care for all. Somehow I can't help but feel that Dahlia is somehow sent here to be in our household so that I would be tested and pushed to develop compassionate care for all...

No comments: