Saturday, October 13, 2007

This is New York

NEW YORK (AFP) — Usually anything but demure, New York City is hoping to lure a stampede of tourists with an understated new slogan: "This is New York."

The ad campaign, surprisingly free of flash and sizzle and costing a jaw-dropping 30 million dollars, aims to lure 50 million visitors per year to New York by 2015.

Long since labeled "the city that never sleeps," New York 30 years ago wheeled out its successful "I Love New York" campaign, featuring citizens from all walks of life warbling the advert's catchy theme song.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg was on hand for an unveiling in Times Square of the new ad Wednesday, centered on a Disney-style video using real and animated characters touting such classic spots as Yankee Stadium, Coney Island and the Statue of Liberty.

A website in 10 languages was launched at www.nycvisit.com.

Yes, that is where I am heading this evening. In fact will be in Changi airport in a matter of two hours. I am now however having a backache, due to Friday @ work. There was a mass IT outage in a database that failed in New York! So, when systems were finally ready @ 3pm, there was a mad rush to complete and review the P&Ls. I had to leave the office at 715pm, where the rest of my team continued.

Had to rush home because of a loving comedy that took place. My bf was going to my house, with a basket bought from Arab street (it sparkles!), two 1995 wine, fruits, chocolate that goes well with coffee (my Dad loves coffee), and a necklace. He asked for my parents' permission to marry me. My photographer brother happened to be home, and he took my SLR out to snap pictures of the basket & gifts, and us four in the discussion. We all shoke hands after that, and this was snapped. Like it was a business transaction - "Deal done".

8 comments:

Mum of 2 said...

Congrats!

Oh, show your loving comedy picture here! Elaborate more too!

So when is ya big day?

Anonymous said...

Hey gal! Enjoy the city. Eat donuts, try apple cider (only available during this season), go to jazz club, theather, ballet (this is the season!), opera, vintage shops and central park on behalf of me:) I wished to be there with you but I will save it for next time. As I felt stupid to cancel my holiday, I decided to fly to New Caledonia from Wednesday..

eimi said...

Hi BY,

Thanks. haha okay one day if i am in the mood, i might release the ridiculous pic with my family...

Engagement dinner with both sides' relatives first in nov, wedding next year..

eimi said...

Hi miki-chan,

Yes I spent three hours walking in Central Park! flat out after that...

hope you enjoy your vacation in New caledonia... of course it would have been more fabulous if you were here! ;)

Twinks said...

Gal, congratulations!!!

So I suppose it has to be a YES since your dad gave the okay =P

Hope u have been doing well...and I'm waiting to see that new necklace he gave u. Sorry haven't had time to catch up with you all cos really tied up with schoolwork. But its really great to read the good news!! Happy for you!! =)

eimi said...

Hi Twinks!

Was wondering for a while who this nick was...till i saw the description "currently hving short hair blah blah"

anyways the necklace is from his parents, not fr him. will show when there is a chance.

Yest night I watched Chicago! I remember we watched our first musical tog Notre Dame in London didnt we!!?

good luck with your reno, sure looks like a lot of work to build a love nest..

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the successful deal!! Haha. Enjoy urself in NYC. :) - Gwen

eimi said...

Thanks Gwen!

Back in Sg, will write about my NYC trip soon.