Sunday, March 25, 2007

Busy Busy


"Life seems but a quick sucession of busy nothings."

- Jane Austen
Not sure why but it feels very busy since I returned to Singapore. Investments, stock prices and other such adult matters. I have been spending my weekends researching on investment methods/ options, and upgrading my credit card.

True enough finances need management, but finding out the "best option" seems mentally zapping. I read an article recently and struck me..perhaps this is what all the undue stress was about.

British psychologist Oliver James calls this the "Affleunza virus". Too much wealth can lead to sadness and disappointment. While societies are getting richer and richer, simulaneously individuals are becoming less and less happy.

A worldwide surge in material affluence, coupled with with demands of 21st Century living, appears to increase vulnerability to emotional distress.

To inoculate against this virus:
1) Stop thinking you have got to have more.

2) Start concentrating on getting on with your real life, your personal relationships and work that interests you.

3) Recognise when you are motivated by greed.
i.e seduced by money, possessions, appearances and fame.

4) Dont see life as a competition.
I cant believe I actually dreamt of my "enemy" last night. My bf would call this "undue attention". Generally speaking, of course, we do not wish good things for our "enemy". I must have been carrying around the burden of feelings of hostility and ill will. This can be a viscious cycle, and I better learn to have a new perspective on the "enemy".

5) Embrace the family and dont watch too much TV!

- The Straits Times March 21

No comments: