Tuesday, September 26, 2006



Sumo @ Ryogoku Kokugikan

Last Friday was vacation for me - and I headed out with Guchi-san to catch Sumo before it ends on 9/24 in Tokyo.

This is my first time watching a Sumo game, and live in Japan. I was surprised how much I liked it. It is in 100% contrast to watching a wrestling game.

I was lucky to be watching with Gucci-san who was explaning the rich range of throwing techniques, and how advantage in position can be gained quickly by grapping the まわし (mawashi) - the wrestler's loincloth.

I was also taught how to pronounce and recognise the various ranks of the Sumo! Yokozuna being the Grand Champion. Apparently in the Sumo sport, no one would complain about being slapped around by the stable master or senior-ranking wrestlers. Nobody every protested, no matter how much they were beaten.

I went at 2:00pm in the afternoon to catch the Juryo wrestlers. The ceremonial aprons they wear actually costs at least 2 million yen - and even more if they have diamonds, pearls and other precious gems!

They also threw salt around before each game as salt is believed to have purifying powers. It was a pity I didnt have my EOS Kiss with me. Above two pictures are taken with my mobile. But, if I am still in Tokyo in January, I would definitely catch another round, and this time aiming for the box seats!








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that Bulgarian Kotooshu?!