Monday, September 04, 2006


DisneySea


Hey not that I am trying to act kawaii. But in Disneyland & DisneySea - > 50% of the population would be wearing those animated headbands to "get into the mood" - probably an escapism from the stressful and perfectionistic society?

Thats why one word you will never miss if you come to Japan is "Kawaii". Teenagers seem to use it in every sentence for anything cute or appealing. I hear that almost anytime in shops, or anywhere in people's conversation. Even at Hakone, I remember an elderly lady correcting my Japanese when I wanted to say a craft was kileii (beautiful) - she said I should use Kawaii.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so true, it can be use for anything - also food.

Anonymous said...

Helly Amy,
what an idea, to teach us the japanese language!
My first japanese word: "Kawaii"