Monday, November 16, 2009

My Ever Changing Status and Size

I have a new support group - four of my close girlfriends are pregnant, one of whom just gave birth. Of course, my mum, and mum-in-law...errh and maybe my hubby...

It was especially a coincidence that we all are all delivering about the same time - its going to be a hectic and noisy 1Q10. Having a close support group is rather important, we could share tips and experiences on pre-natal nutrition, cramps, throwing up, how to stay happy, how sleep is now interrupted..etc, it makes you feel that you are not alone as you go through these abrupt changes in life.

First of all, lets just say I had a rather clumsy first trimester. The throwing up. Fair enough, the gynae seems to think its a good sign though because it indicates high hormone levels which feeds the baby well in the 1st trimester. I remember replying him by saying "ooh am I supposed to feel better after hearing this?" He said "Its uncomfortable for you, but its good for the baby."

There's also the saying that if you stay happy, your baby will generally have a happy disposition. Indeed one of my lady friend, who currently isn't working does seem filled with joy (hehe, better than when she was working). Another of my friend who also had a rather pukish 1st trimester commented, "how to be happy when you have to deal with the throwing up" - which is also so true...

I believe spouse support is very important at this point. Thats why in the book "What to Expect when you are expecting", it has a chapter for the dad-to-be. Both Gui and my fren's hubby gave up reading after some pages...guys.. Gui is also working very late daily. I am frequently home alone... but when he has a little bit of sane time, he will "speak" to the baby. Sometimes, he hits my stomach a bit so as to get a response from the kiddo - (??!). When he leaves for work now, he gives me a peck on my face; and one on the stomach... thats a new blessing to count indeed.

9 comments:

Mum of 2 said...

Hello Eimi! You finally write. I heard pukish moments will be over after the first trimester. Bear with it and the baby will know how much you have been thru! hehe.

I can't really relate your size now vs the picture you posted! Ah....hw much can you gain?!?!? Please take a pic and show me.

Lots of love...for baby Gui and of coz the mummy ;p

Cheers - Aunty Connie

eimi said...

haha Aunty Connie - thats quite funny

Ya less pukish now, but if i dont eat every two-three hours, i might still feel pukish or puke a little - so I HAVE to eat

i know its hard to imagine.. but i really piled on a lot... first trimester only 1kg... suddenly i have loaded on 5kg in one month... i freaked out... to give u a better idea, i can no longer fit into my old pants/ skirts, and cant button my work jacket!

Mum of 2 said...

Ever since I became Mrs Fok, many kids were taught to call me Aunty. So not used to it! Heh

Good to hear you are less pukish! Eat well for the little baby...and for urself too.

5kg!?!?!?! Hmm, dun worry abt the weight gain too much. If its still within the range, u'll be fine!

Its tough being a woman! :P

An-An said...

babe, 5 kg is fine. juz eat what u have to eat. the weight will come off when u breastfeed :)

have more fish and soup, and continue with yr routine exercise if u can. i regret stopping my regular jogs when i was preggy.

let's arrange for a meet up in dec. i wanna see amber and yr belly!!!!! :P

An-An said...

Oh, I'm not sure if u already know this. But there's this childbirth education course (antenatal) that's super popular with mummies. It's at TMC.

http://www.thomsonmedical.com/facilities.htm

Pple not giving birth at TMC also attend the course, like me :P
Ask for the nurse Wong Boi Boi. Her classes are always super full.

eimi said...

Aunty Connie - ya its tough indeed. My fren just gave birth, dealing with lack of sleep and having to pump her milk every 3-4 hrs.. going through her confinment now and indeed she just said "its tough being a woman"!

eimi said...

Thanks An-an, really? Can stil jog while preggy?! My only exercise now is I try to walk more.. I walk up a gentle slope for about 15 mins.. and i can get tired after that 15 mins slope...as if i have done a marathon!

btw, did u opt for cord blood banking? stemcord?

thanks for info. on antenatal

An-An said...

Generally if u were oredi active in your exercise routine before you got preggy, u can continue with wat u were doing. i actually continued with golf until i was ard 5 months. Couldn't twist much then! Hah!

Yah, i signed up with stemcord. Any of your frenz did? U can use their name to get a bit discount if i remember correctly, and yr fren will also have some form of discount off the yearly rate too. U can use mine if u dun have any :P

Oh, peiying is pumping? She is not latching on? Or juz pumping to induce the milk supply?

eimi said...

okay I'll use your name - can sms me your name and NRIC number? Its a one-time $50 off annual storage fees =)

Do you have another fren with Stemcord? I might be registering with another preggy =)

hee, not sure, PY just mentioned she's tired and have to pump at frequent interval..poor girl... we were smsing abt 5 in the evening then, and she said, okay she has to sleep now as she had to prepare for the night!