Sunday, March 02, 2008

a busy but peaceful week

Bobby Heng. I didn't see him for about a week since I was shuttling between the casket and my own home.

Returning back after one week, Bobby suddenly has become more solemn. We were guessing if he was sick; due to old age; or he is sad about some affairs; or maybe one of his friends got killed or died (apparently while being taken for walks, he has been approached by other maids who want to buy him so that their owners can eat him!). Luckily after a week or so, he is back to his old child-like self, jumps around quite a bit, and always asking for a massage even though he is now 10 years old.


At work it was just plain busy. Not only does my team need to do parallel run tests for a new system, the current system started showing signs of hiccups. As a result, I had to work late this week.


Nothing much has happened to me. I did however read an article of great interest from Forbes. 48 Heroes of Philanthropy. The list was put together for the first time by Forbes. Here's an extract "Great fortunes are being made in Asia, and those fortunes are increasingly earmarked for philanthropy. Hong Kong's Li Ka-shing has pledged to leave one-third of his $32 billion fortune to charity. Anil Agarwal has committed $1 billion toward creating a new university in India. Yang Huiyan, China's richest person, and her father, Yeung Kwok Keung, donated $32 million to charities last year, making them the country's biggest givers."

I also went to Kinokuniya, Takashimaya with my colleague. She bought a few fiction books. When she asked me what I am reading now, I said "hmm I dont think it will be books that you will read"... Straightaway she said "Religious stuff"... Indeed! A bit of a boring me, but Lama Shifu passed me this book when Evan and I chauffeured him back from the wake. Here's a little extract of interest (hold tight and don't get scared!):

The hell realm is a projection of hatred and anger and the nonvirtue of killing;
the preta realm, a projection of avarice and craving;
the animal realm, a projection of stupidity;
that of the demigods, a projection of virtue tainted with jealousy;
that of the gods, a projection of virtue tainted with pride;
the human realm, a projection of a mixture of all five poisons combined with at least enough virtue to prevent rebirth in lower realms.

Just remember that no matter how difficult your life is as a human being, there is no comparison between the difficulties here and the miseries in the lower existences - Delog Dawa Drolma

No comments: