Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Cat's Life



Chinese has this saying "tong ren bu tong ming". This also applies to my friend's cat Tiger, housed in a landed property he named "Cat Country".

Tiger is the most well-fed (fat) cat I have ever seen in my life. Tiger's sleeping and sitting posture is almost human-like. Recently, another kitten, named Sushi was adopted from the Animal Lovers League (for abandoned & abused pets). Sushi was very defensive as we tried to bring her out of the cage. She was even reluctant to drink the first feed of milk from a tablespoon. Of course, she refused to swallow the de-worming tablet as we tried to force her to swallow. But little does she realize, she is about to become one of the luckiest cats you can find.

As I mentioned "tong ren bu tong ming", I also read the following from The Sunday Times, UK, by AA Gill:

"Last week, I came this close to eating at the furry bowl, but it was dashed away before I could get stuck in. I have at last found a nation that eats cats for pleasure. Stand up, Ghana, and take a miaow. Innocently, a chap I was travelling with in the bush mentioned that he had to get home. “We’re having cat tonight,” he said. “Mmm-mmm.” Cat? Real cat? Moulty, lap-needling, stink-spraying, baby-scratching pretty kitty? “The same,” he said. Is this just you and your wife, or do others eat it, I inquired, trying to keep the excitement out of my voice. “Oh, everyone eats cats – they’re delicious, a great delicacy. We have restaurants that serve cats.” Do you keep them as pets as well? “Yes, of course. We love cats. The children play with them, then we eat them.”

No comments: