Sunday, July 01, 2012

TD's first Independent Experience and Mummy's Emotional Experience with First Week of School



For TD's playnursery, there is a Parent and Teacher Communication Book so that we can communicate daily with the teacher, and vice versus should we want to.  On the first day of school when Mummy dropped TD off, he went into the playground area without even turning to say Bye to me.  I went in to tell him Bye and that Mummy & Kakak will pick him up at 11am.  Still he was fixated on the washing machine toy, asking me questions about what each button does... I guess he did not realise that this was an unaccompanied drop-off program.   

Well, following the right protocol, I walked off and downstairs to McDonalds to work.  I was certainly thinking of TD all the time, wondering how he would cope, and I missed him a lot.  Nonetheless, I kept reminding myself that this was a new journey that he had to go through now that he was older than two years old.  Kept reminding myself to concentrate on the work, just as I hoped that he would be concentrating in class. 

When I went up at about 10:50am, I heard my boy saying 'open the door, open the door'.  I think there were three new parents.  We were waiting like it was a scene outside the operating theatre.  I spoke to a mother and she said she heard her boy crying after she left him to pay for the fees.  Her eyes were red, well so was I, trying to hold it in.  Gotto be strong for the boy right?

Day 2, TD came home very happy, chatting & laughing a lot as usual.  He loves his new schoolbag.  Today, TD said, "Teacher Neelan says don't cry", and "Theodore wants Teacher Neelan to open the mouth."  TD started to string longer sentences while conversing at home, and Wari mentioned that TD is more independent at the playground. 

Day 3.  Teacher Neelan wrote that TD was sitting down, concentrating well during circle time.  Apart from anxiety during the first half an hour, the rest of the day activities went on very smoothly.  He did cry a bit in the morning but was diverted when the Teacher Neelan started to talk about the lift. 

TD did come home with his voice a little hoarse from the crying and talking.  Apparently, he was not happy with the last half an hour which was at the Music Room, as he could not see Teacher Neelam.

Day 4.  Cried for less than two minutes.  Hooray!
Came home, and while we were reading to him "sssh, he's fast asleep." Daddy puts his finger to his mouth.   TD said, "Just like teacher Neelam."

Hoping for a smoother Week 2!

No comments: