Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Guo Da Li aka Gift Exchange

A traditional Chinese practice of the groom's family asking for the permission from the bride's parents for the hand of the bride!



You know what I am talking about - we conducted it two weeks before the wedding party on July 4 2009 - at first I termed this Gift Exchange, but looking at the puzzled look of some of my friends, I learnt the proper term - Guo Da Li!!

This is the wedding bethrothal basket prepared by the groom's family - hmm I am quite sure this isn't the correct traditional style - thumbs up for being a creator though.

Apparently different dialects require different items. Thanks to both mums for preparing the baskets of items.

My favourite was definitely the wedding cakes!


4 comments:

伊娃 said...

oh the wedding cakes are just sooo yummy! I like both the red and yellow one...

Oh was thinking, maybe I should have that as dessert for the banquet instead!

eimi said...

haha planning ahead huh..I like the red one better

but its quite flaky, might have to use hand to eat.. probably not suitable for a formal banquet? maybe its baked differntly in HK?

have fun planning =)

伊娃 said...

oh I think they are all the same. Flaky and it create quite a mess when you are...It is not that appropriate to eat at the banquet but might be good as a "bring home" gift = )

btw.. you are having another banquet at KL? is this one just for relatives?

eimi said...

hey good idea! dont know abt HK, but in Sg, people dont even purchase this traditional wedding cake now. They use cake shops and sometimes cake vouchers, so would be a nice traditional touch!

yes in KL, just for relatives, over already... I am so glad its all over now!! =)