Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The last laugh...

so...I had my first manicure session today.. with my mum-in-law. I have always avoided manicure as I didn't want my nails to turn yellowish because of the chemicals.

While we had our mani & pedi, there was a young girl brought there by her mummy. She was probably seven. She was doing her mani & pedi, and her tai-tai mummy was taking pictures of her, after which they would be heading to Paragon. Hmm, is that how new age mothers dote on their children these days? In fact, the manicurist mentioned that it is hardly uncommon these days for children to come in. She will personally not allow her kids to do it at a young age, but in tough times like this, as long as they pay, they will do it even for baby clients....oh well, every parent has their own set of parenting values.


Anyways, a short story to share before I go mask my face and continue my bedtime reading.

This is a true story from Ajahn Chah on how to deal with abuse.

An American G.I. was traveling from the base into town on a rickshaw. On the outskirts of town, they passed a roadside bar where some friends of the rickshaw driver were already quite drunk.

"Hey!" they shouted in Thai. "Where are you taking that dirty dog to?" Then they laughed, pointing at the American soldier.

For a moment, they driver was alarmed. The soldier was a very big man and in Thailand calling someone a "dirty dog" meant an inevitable fight. However, the soldier was quietly looking around, enjoying the beautiful scenery. Obviously, he did not understand the Thai language.

The driver, deciding to have some fun at the American's expense, shouted back, "I'm taking this filthy dog and throwing him in the Moon River to give the smelly mongrel a wash!"

As the driver and his drunken friends laughed, the soldier remained unmoved.

When they reached their destination and the driver put out his hand for the journey's fare, the American soldier quietly began to walk away.

The rickshaw driver excitedly shouted after him in broken but clear English, "Hey! Sir! You pay me dollars!"

To which the big American soldier calmly turned around and said in perfectly accented Thai, "Dog's don't have money."

2 comments:

An-An said...

well, I've ever saw a mother bringing her daughter to a hair salon, and letting the daughter do a wash and blow!

eimi said...

whoa - then her daughter might start shedding her hair by mid-20's!